What is the Student Sustainability Council?
UCL's Student Sustainability Council provides an inclusive space for our diverse range of student sustainability leaders to directly feed into UCL’s sustainability programmes. The council enables members to discuss UCL projects with senior staff, whilst enabling student groups to connect and collaborate on student-led initiatives.
A student council, run by students, for students
The UCL Sustainability Council is the UK's first student-led council, set up by UCL Student Sustainability Officer Mae Faugere in 2019. It is supported by Sustainable UCL and Students' Union UCL and has grown from strength to strength. This year we are experimenting with a new model in the hope to include more students.
How do I join?
Members of the Student Sustainability Council will be made up of students already working on a sustainability project at UCL, this includes UCL Student Sustainability Ambassadors, and representatives from societies undertaking sustainability projects, as well as students leading on their own greening initiatives outside of these programmes.
If you would like to become a member, please discuss with your group first, and complete this form by 24 October. We will only be accepting one representative per group. All ambassadors will automatically be invited.
How does it work?
At the start of the year, you will be invited to an introduction meeting and training session. Sustainable UCL will present UCL’s Sustainability Strategy, governance, and progress from last year’s council, and find out from you which policy areas to focus on throughout the year.
Following this, there will be four councils. Each session will be split into two parts.
- The first half will be chaired by UCL's Union Affairs Officer Deniz Akinci - here you will receive presentations from key teams across the university such as UCL Accommodation, UCL Careers, and UCL caterers. You will be invited to provide your constructive feedback on the plans and present your own ideas to them. Deniz will bring your ideas to the UCL Sustainability Committee.
- The second half will be chaired by Sustainability Officer, Vaania Kapoor Achuthan - here you will be able to present what your society, group, or green team is doing, enabling groups to organise together and support each other – and socialise!
At the end of the year, you will receive a certificate, and be invited to a career’s session to learn how to add the council to your CV!
- Join Sustainable UCL to find out more at the Welcome Sustainability Fair on Monday 26 September (12:00 - 14:30) in the Main Quad Marquee.
- Please apply by Monday 24 October.
- Successful applicants will be notified on Monday 31 October.
- Council members are required to join an intro and training session (date TBC).
- The four council sessions will run in Terms 1 and 2 - dates TBC.
- Council members can join a careers event on Friday 17 March.
How to apply
Please fill out this application form before Monday 24 October.