Clubs & Societies Affiliations
Applications for new sports clubs and societies are now closed for academic year 2021/22. They will reopen on 1st September 2022 until 12noon on Monday 17th October. No new applications will be considered before the October closing date.
The are two rounds of applications per academic year. Term 1: Sept - Oct, and Term 2 Jan - Feb
[Last updated: 21/02/22]
Should you wish to affiliate a UCL departmental society, rather than a standard club or society, please contact, Jo Swo at email@example.com for further details
Students' Union UCL supports over 350 sports clubs and societies. They receive a range of support including funding, facilities, administration, banking and legal services.
Clubs and societies exist to provide a wide range of co-curricular opportunities and activities to Students' Union UCL members. The union will only consider applicants who meet the criteria below. These criteria exist so that the union resources are effectively used to maximise opportunities
How do I request affiliation to Students' Union UCL?
- If you want to start a club or society, make sure there isn’t one already existing that does the same activities, or is based on the same idea – there’s no point in duplicating. You can check this on the union website: Clubs & Societies Directory
- Read Guidance for Applicants and complete online application form.
- Get a group of UCL friends, or like minded fellow students together, to sit down and discuss what the basic activities and functions of your club are going to be. Will you be going on trips, are you discussing something, are you training etc?
- You need to choose a committee; this comprises a President, Treasurer and Welfare Officer as a necessity, and you may want to think about a Social Secretary, a Captain, a Producer, Editor etc. It all depends on what your club/society will be doing.
- President and Treasurer are known as the principal officers of a club/society. No position sits higher on the committee than them and they are the main contacts with the union. You can only have one of each and the positions, unlike other committee posts, cannot be shared between more than one person. Welfare Officer is mandatory post but not a principal officer. You can find out more about the responsibilities of each officer in our Rules & Regulations which you should familiarise yourself with before applying.
- Next you need to attract a minimum of 30 UCL Students to become potential members. At this stage, they don’t need to pay anything, but you will need to collect their names and contact information on the provided signature sheet and attach to your application.
- Please note that due to the on going challenges with the pandemic, students physical signatures are not currently required as part of the application, only their names (as they appear on their UCL Student ID) and their UCL email address.
An affiliation meeting will be held shortly after the deadline. In most cases you will not be required to attend the meeting, only in rare cases where we need more information or further explanation will you be asked to attend.
The next round for applications opens on 1st September 2022 and deadline for submissions is 12noon Monday 17th October 2022. Applications by online form only. Late submissions will be not considered.
All recent term 2 submissions should be considered by the Activities Executive by the week commencing 28th February 2022.
Applicants should be informed via email of their decision by Thursday 3rd March 2022.
No new affiliation requests will be granted prior to this date.
If you have any questions to queries regarding the additional criteria please contact the Societies & Media Coordinator, Johnny Glover at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please make sure you are logged in with you UCL username and password before clicking on Apply Now, or you will not be able to view the application form.